For each of my children’s birthdays, I have then tell me what kind of cake they want me to make for them. This year I highly encouraged cupcakes. I had my youngest look through my Pinterest boards to find something that he might like. This year he chose this recipe, or to be more accurate, this kind of cupcake. He thought the idea of having a cupcake that looked like a watermelon would be great fun.
In reality, all the cupcake is is a chocolate chip cupcake, colored to look like a watermelon (at least in our case). The site suggested using a cake mix, but I decided to use the Very Vanilla recipe that I so loved from before. The addition of the mini chocolate chips only added to the cupcakes delicious flavor. Have fun with this one, I know we did 🙂
- See Very Vanilla Cupcake recipe
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Red, yellow and green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Make Very Vanilla cake mix as directed. Add food coloring to make a pink watermelon color. I used red food coloring with a small amount of yellow.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared cupcake tins about 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake per cake instructions. Allow to cool completely using the Vanilla Bean Buttercream. Add green food coloring to the frosting.