Early this August, we were lucky enough to be back home in Michigan visiting family. During the visit we got to see our oldest niece on her 18th birthday. This was especially awesome because I don’t think we’ve been able to celebrate a birthday with her in over 10 years. Of course I offered to make cupcakes.
My husband and I searched though my online cupcake recipe stash and decided on a Pinterest find. The recipe for Orange Creamsicle cupcakes sounded like a perfect summer match for this cookout birthday party. They were an absolute hit and my niece informed that cupcakes are her absolute favorites, which I didn’t know beforehand.
Normally I don’t like making cake mix recipes, but I wasn’t at home and I needed to find a recipe that was fairly easy. The cake turned out absolutely delicious though. I did have one problem with the middles of the cupcakes falling with the first batch, but the second batch was fine so that was probably my error. I also fixed the frosting a little. The original recipe didn’t call for any vanilla but I felt like it needed some, so I added it.
Have fun baking! It was definitely a fun summer recipe!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 3 oz pkg orange gelatin, minus 2 tsp
- 1 2 layer size white cake mix
- 1 small box vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 1/4 c orange juice
- 4 large eggs or 3 extra large eggs
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 c softened butter
- 6 tbs milk
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 2 tsp orange gelatin
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (approx.)
- Preheat the oven to 350* and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Make sure to set aside the 2 tsp of orange gelatin for the frosting.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, remaining gelatin, orange juice, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full. I used a medium scoop and did two scoops per muffin cup.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a middle cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, combine the all the frosting ingredients.
- Beat the frosting with an electric mixer until fluffy and smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.