Unfortunately, these are the cupcake pictures that were stolen, but at least I was able to salvage an Instagram photo to share.
This recipe, like most, was a Pinterest find. I was longing for summer, and with the Cherry Limeade flavor, this recipe just screamed warm summer days. Overall, they were very good – in fact, my husband loved them (he’s not a huge sweets fan). The cake was nice and tart from the Limeade and the frosting was nice and sweet, especially with the cherry on top. It was a perfect combination!
For the cake:
- 18.25 oz white cake mix
- 1 cup limeade concentrate, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- few drops green food coloring
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, slightly softened
- 10 oz jar maraschino cherries
- 4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine cake mix, limeade concentrate, eggs, oil, and food coloring. Beat on low speed for about 30 seconds, then scrape sides of the bowl and increase speed to medium high. Beat for two minutes. Fill liners 2/3 full with batter and bake for about 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove cupcakes to wire racks until cool.
3. In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and 4 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice from the jar of cherries until semi-combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar until it is just mixed in. Increase speed to high and beat for about a minute until fluffy.
4. Frost cupcakes and top with a cherry.