Valentine’s Day! I am such an optimist when it comes to Valentine’s Day. I love… love! Romantic love, friendly love, family love: it is all so beautiful and I love the day that we get to celebrate it. I know that others can often be bitter and jaded when it comes to Valentine’s Day but I think that is ridiculous! Find someone (even if it isn’t romantic) or something to love, and celebrate! Celebrate with tacky hearts and flowers and every other clique that you can possibly think of because that’s what Valentine’s Day is all about!
Of course Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be complete without a sweet chocolate treat, so that is what I made this week! Chocolate Valentine Heart Cupcakes are what I decided to give a try. I did deviate slightly from the decorating that the recipe called for but, I figure that I’m allowed creative license; I used little candy hearts that I bought (how can you resist the Valentine isle?) instead of making my own. This recipe made a very small batch which is kind of nice for a Valentine dessert for two (wink, wink). At first I was a little worried that these wouldn’t be much different from the last chocolate cupcakes that I made but I was definitely wrong! This recipe was much better than the last one; the cupcakes were moist and rose nicely while baking. They were so good that it’s probably a good thing that the recipe only made 6. The frosting lived up to the Valentine’s Day standard as well: it was rich, fudge-y, and very sweet. Personally, it wasn’t my favorite but it was nice for a special treat. When you make it, be careful with how much powdered sugar you use; I made mine a little too thick to pipe smoothly. Everything worked out though and they tasted delicious. Enjoy!
For the Cupcakes:
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- scant 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- generous 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking power
For the Frosting:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- scant 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1oz/25g semisweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Put 6 paper liners into a muffin pan.
- Place the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Sift in the flour, cocoa, and baking powder and, using a metal spoon, fold into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the paper liners. Bake in the preheated over for 20-25 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- To make the frosting, put the butter in the large bowl and beat until fluffy. Sift in the confectioners’ sugar and beat together until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and beat together until well mixed. Spread some of the frosting on top of each cupcake and decorate.